Friday, September 26, 2008

My Trip in Detail

This is Bonnie and Lynn Alvord, Katie Perry's Parents, and the people who totally saved me. I went there knowing that they were going to give me a place to stay; but they gave much more. They acted like I was one of their kids home to visit. They picked me up from the airport and took me and stayed with me at all of my appointments and Hailey's Surgery. Lynn is a Doctor so his listening ears were really helpful. Lynn had the week off work and we had a lot of fun, when we were not at the Doctors that is. I really love these guys and I know that Heavenly Father used them to answer my prayers and ease my burden.
This is Grandma Alvord. She is Lynn's 93 year old mother. Hopefully she doesn't mind me telling her age. She was so sweet to Hailey, and always concerned with us being comfortable. Hailey would go in and talk to her and play in her room. Hailey loves her. One time she was in asking Grandma how come she can't walk and why she hunches over. Grandma just laughed and explained it to her. She was such a good sport.
LOOK at this BREAKFAST!!!! YUMM. Notice that Hailey is eating sugar cereal...the second that she said that she didn't want that and she wanted Trix it was in front of her. They spoiled just like Grandparents do.
We went to a Metro-Park, they call it. It was beautiful. I loved taking pictures of Hailey here because she had her contacts in. She loves Bonnie.
Look at the huge trees and my beautiful daughters eyes. You'll have to click on this one to really see her blue eyes.
There was a little place with snakes, turtles, bees and other animals. Hailey loves animals.
This is right before her surgery. She looks way too excited! Poor thing. My mom, Kit Cook, Judd's mom and Lyndi all sent toys and things to do for Hailey. Everything was really nice to have because it gave her something to do. She had to wait all day. She was Dr. Trese's last patient and she had to come fasting. It was 4PM before she got taken back for her exam and operation.
Lynn playing with Hailey to distract her.
This is Hailey after her surgery, she has to wear those metal eye protectors every night. She hates them, so I have to wait until she is asleep to put them on. Her eye are really fragile because he went in through the front and dissected clear to the back to take the piece of sclara out to make room for the fluid to drain. We don't need any extra scar tissue causing extra problems.

The first 24 hours after the surgery were really hard. She had a really hard time coming out of anesthesia. She was freaking out and the nursing staff was in a hurry to get us out of the recovery room so they could go home. They sent us away and she was still thrashing all over and trying to gouge her eyes. She had been freaking out for about an hour though.
We walked out and I held her in the lobby while Bonnie went to go get the car. Lynn went back up to get something I forgot. While I was waiting there, and Hailey was screaming and trashing, three women came up to me and told me it would be okay or asked me if I was okay. It must have looked terrible. Anyway, I was so tired and I wanted her to have some comfort. So right there I just said a prayer out loud in her ear. Short and to the point. Heavenly Father please comfort Hailey. She stopped crying almost immediately and when we got in the car she feel asleep. The first night was so long she kept waking up and crying and she sleep most of the night in my arms. Translation-no sleep for me. The first morning Hailey didn't want to open her eyes but before that night she was doing amazingly better.
I don't know what day this was but you can see one eye bled out and the other one didn't.
Tuesday before we left we had another check-up. They took pictures of her retina to see if any fluid had already gone down. I was disappointed to see that she still had the big bump in the middle of the retina but the doctor said to give it more time. We go back on November 3ed for another Exam under anaesthetises so he can really see if the surgery worked. When I go that time I have to take Jayden to also have an exam under anaesthetises, just to be safe.

Lynn and Bonnie's house was beautiful and very breakable. Bonnie is an interior designer and their house is decked out. I was very happy when we left and Hailey had not broken one thing. Thank goodness!!!!
Tender Mercies of the Lord as Rich Larsen would put it.....
1- At the first check up Dr. Trese said, "It's interesting that you are here today because I was just researching this exact thing in London last week and I just got done writing up my research yesterday." Then I asked if her condition was common and he said that it is extremely rare. I know that was the Lords hand directing him to research that particular condition.
2- We also found out that if everything looks perfect, on November 3ed, when he checks her that she will need to come back 3 times a year to be checked. She will have to be put under every time. That is the only way he can see her whole retina and the fluid layer beneath. Right before I left my second follow-up appointment Dr. Trese's fellow doctor, Dr. Walsh, came in and told me that he is taking a job in Tuscon with Dr. Javid (The retina doctor who first saw Hailey). Dr. Walsh has been training with Dr. Trese for three years and he doesn't start until August next year in Tuscon. This is really good because he can learn all about Hailey and watch Dr.Trese and then maybe take care of us closer to home in the future.
3-Another tender mercy of the Lord in my strengthened faith. One of the hardest things through all of this process has been wondering if I had faith at all, not to mention faith for my daughter to be healed, or faith to receive the direction on what to do. Through reading my scriptures, prayer, priesthood blessings I have more faith than I ever had. Even though this road with her is going to be hard, I have been guided to the right place and I know Hailey is getting the best care, no matter what happens. You may have to keep reminding me that I said this.
4- All the love and support is for sure a tender mercy. So many have helped make this easier on us. Thank you all so much.

18 comments:

Erika said...

What a trip, Bekah. Glad everything went well and hope the next trip brings good new. And what about Katie's parents!!!! What a blessing...they went to every surgery and appointment?! Thanks for sharing the tender mercies in your life.

Peterson Family said...

I have so many thoughts and emotions going on, I hardly know what to write. All I know is that I am so touched by all that you are going through and I am praying for that beautiful daughter of yours to recover fully. Thank you for talking about the miracles and blessings you have seen thus far, I know that it has strengthened my own testimony. Heavenly Father truly knows us by name and how to bring us the comfort, love and support we need when we need it most.

Merr said...

Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound! What a trooper your little Hailey is! She is a cutie!

SarahAnne said...

Well, that is a sweet tear jerker. I am so moved by all of this. That picture of your little tree-hugger ;o) is so beautiful. It made me cry, Bekah. My kids wear glasses which is nothing compared to what you have dealt with, but I know how it feels to realize how poorly they see and then for you to see her w/o them and know she can see better is a great thing for a mommy's heart!

Manymanymany prayers from us for a great recovery for her, and for your boy's appt. when you go back. We love you guys!

Mindi said...

Bekah,
I was really touched when you talked about how you wondered if you had any faith at all. I know that you realize now that you have faith but just the fact that you flew so far away, stayed with people you really didn't know, had your daughter go through surgery and did it virtually alone(without Judd)shows me that you have a tremendous amount of faith.

I think it is interesting that we don't realize what we are capable of until we have no other choice but to so what is put before us. I have thought a lot about you and your family and I want you to know that we will continue to pray for your little ones.

kara jayne said...

Bekah I am so happy for you. I know things aren't perfect for Hailey, but we don't often know why things are put in our path. I know the Lord has blessed you throughout this. I'm so happy you had Katie's parents there. I just want to give them a big hug. I'll talk to you soon.

Stephers said...

I miss you so much! Isn't it amazing how the Lord takes care of us? Thanks for writing in this blog for all of us to keep updated. We're praying for you guys!

Amber said...

Wow girl! Thank you for sharing about faith and your testimony! Trials do often bring us to ask ourselves what we truly believe. Then in the end we are stronger. Hailey is so beautiful! Those eyes! We miss you guys!

kdparry said...

Hey Bekah! I finally got to read this blog in detail! I am sOOOooo grateful for the Lord's "Tender Mercies" he has given you. You are incredible and blessed! God bless you and Hailey (I know he has)! I'm grateful you got to know my parents a little bit and that we could become better friends out of all of this. All my love and prayers!

Angie said...

Hey beks, glad to know the latest with Hailey. I'm glad that you were taken care of out there too! I hope all will continue to go well and you are in our thoughts & prayers always. love you!

Laura said...

Bekah I am crying. What a wonderful and productive trip. I am so grateful to the family who took you in, I could hug them. Your pictures of Hailey in the hospital with her metal eye shields and then the ones of her bloody eye are identical to ours of Paulie and her many eye surgeries, it brought back alot of memories for me... and the prayers uttered aloud in her behalf, calling upon the Lord. I've been there too. I am so proud of what you have accomplished, it seems day by day, trip by trip, one surgery after another and many many prayers... you will get closer to Hailey's full potential with her eyes. We love you. And ps, I love that Judd left a comment on my blog :) :)

Jill and Paul said...

bek- im so proud of you! you did it! youre such an amazing mom and hailey is so lucky to have you take care of her. what a blessing it was to have those sweet people let you stay with them, i know that kept you sane. a hotel wouldve been so much worse! im so grateful that the surgery went well and hailey looks so beautiful with her contacts! beautiful eyes like her mom! thanks for keeping us updated, we're all praying for you guys. im glad youre home now with your sweet kids and judd. i know they missed you. we, too, are so excited for our cruise! cant wait to spend a week with such awesome people! we love you!

Cami Bruschke said...

I was so touched by this blog entry. It's so great to be able to get an update on what's going on with you guys. I'm so impressed by the way you handle everything and your perspective on it all - you are truly a remarkable person.

Britney and Jaren Jensen said...

Man Bekah, I can't believe all that you and Hailey have gone through with all the eye stuff. You are amazing and such an example to all of us. We love little Hailey and hope she heals and progresses well. We're glad you are back!!

Jeanette said...

I'm so glad that you both made it back safe and sound and that Hailey's little ordeal is over for now. I hope things will improve more and more each day. Good luck with everthing. I hope we can see you guys soon.

sbagley said...

Oh my gosh Bekah, just reading your blog has strengthened my testimony 10-fold!!! I love you and appreciate your sweet testimony. You and Hailey are, as always in my prayers! I wish I could see all of you guys. Love ya!

Janene said...

Wow Bekah. I have a ball in my throat and tears streaming down my cheeks reading what you're going through. I am so glad things went well for you and Hailey on your trip. Hailey is beautiful and I know those beautiful eyes come from you. Those pictures at the park were so cute. I'm so glad that you had such great, supportive people to stay with. Thanks for sharing...especially about the Tender Mercies. You're so right to look for the hand of the Lord in everything. I love you guys!

Jen Frost said...

Bekah - Thanks for sharing so much with us. You have been blessed with so many things falling into place. Katie's parents sound wonderful and gave you the helped that you needed...what a huge blessing not to mention all the other "tender mercies". You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.